Wednesday, June 13, 2012

PSC36:Father's Day Color Story

Happy Wednesday...it's time for another super fun challenge with The Perfect Sentiment

With Father's Day coming up we have a the perfect challenge for you....create a Father's Day card using the color story provided..which I will show you in just a moment. I have to tell you that this time of year is a little bittersweet for me..my dad is in heaven so this holiday is always a hard one for me. I think about all the fun times I had with my dad and this helps me through the rough patches and sad times. I will forever cherish the memories we made together & when I think of them...I get a huge smile on my face : )

Since I don't have my dad "here" to make a card for...I made one for my hubby for this challenge. 

And here's the color story.............
I loved the color choices we had for this challenge & once I saw them I knew instantly that I wanted to use the Proper Gentleman Collection from G45.

I took a creative spin on this card & used a recycled bottom pocket presentation folder for the base of my card. I trimmed it down to the size I wanted but kept the bottom pockets...I'll show you what I did with those in a moment. 

Instead of making the inside of my card look as I normally do...I wanted to mix it up a bit and make pockets to tuck letters in. My idea was to have the kids write a letter to Steve or write down a favorite memory or funny story or experience they had with Steve. I thought this would be a great way to express their love for him & be something different than the normal "Happy Father's Day" sentiment you typically see on the inside of a card. This will actually take some thought which I know he will appreciate...especially as the years go by and he can pull this card out and re-read what the kids were thinking & feeling when they were 16 & 12. 
To keep with the vintage feel of this card I used some old school paper from a writing tablet. I remember practicing my ABC's on this type of paper when I was a kid : )
I added some metal grommets & tied them off with some vintage seam binding I picked up on one of my junkin trips. 
I don't know if you can see it very well in this picture but I love the faux leather look of this folder...it goes perfectly with the theme of the card I think. I can't wait to show this card to Steve & more importantly I can't wait to see his face when he reads the sweet words the kids wrote for him : )


Now for some amazing inspiration from my fellow DT members.....


Jenn
Cheryl
Jan
Karen
Maggie
Sam
Sassy
Tabitha

Theresa

June Guest Designers:
Marilyn 
Vickie 


Our sponsor for this week's challenge is Shelly's Images




Shelly is offering up one free digi to the winner of this week's challenge. She has been a long time sponsor for our challenge blog so be sure to stop by her store and show her some love. 

Don't forget to check out all of the details surrounding this week's challenge at the PSCB. You can also see how you can become one of The Perfect Three : )

Now that you been inspired by the PSDT...head into your creative space and get started on your card for the Father's Day Color Story.

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for taking the time to check out my Father's Day card. I will let you all know what Steve thought of the card & if I'm lucky he'll let me take his pic with it so I can share that with you too : )

Have a great day and be sure to stop back for another scrappy post. 

Happy Scrappin!!

Products used:
Graphic 45-A Proper Gentleman Collection
Bazzil Chips
Inkadinkadoo Happy Days clear stamps
Coredinations Canvas Texture CS-Fudgesicle
Tim Holtz Distress Ink-Frayed Burlap & Festive Berries
Autumn Leaves Old Remington rub on letters
Staz-On Jet Black ink
American Craft brads
Hinge-scrappy stash
Vintage seam binding-scrappy stash
May Arts Ribbon-black felt strip
Black bottom pocket folder-recycled
Lined paper-scrappy stash

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Abby! Love the recycled pocket folder idea and especially the inclusion of the children's input on their memories. This is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Abby, I love all of the different elements you used here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby, you just really rocked this challenge. That is so beautiful and thoughtful. I just know that Steve is going to love receiving this card from you and your kids. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so smart! I like to use office folders, etc. I really like the inside of yours. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at all that creative detail! I especially enjoy the pockets on the inside for the notes!! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you use vintage stuff. Cute

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool! I love the hinges and great take on the challenge with your project!!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Comments